About Me

New York, New York, United States
Rob is the author of New York, New York: So Good They Named it Twice: An Irreverent Guide to Experiencing and LIving in the Greatest City in the World

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

WHAT IS IT ABOUT THE RAIN THAT NEW YORKERS ARE SO AFRAID OF?

Maybe it's because I grew up in London where it rains 250 days a year, that makes me a little different from the average New Yorker regarding how to deal with the skies opening up. Since I have moved to New York City it seems that every year we get more rainy days and a greater amount of total rainfall.

In reality May and July are the rainiest months as measured by the 4.7 inches on average that New York City gets during those months. In total New York City receives about 50 inches of rain a year. Mobile, Alabama witnesses on average 60 inches a year and that is the most for any city in this Country, using data going back 30 years. London gets around the same rainfall a year as New York but it rains on twice as many days in London meaning we get downpours here.

Rain is good. Yes New Yorkers. Rain is a good thing. We need rain in the Tri State area and we need rain in New York City. It beautifies the parks and makes them luscious and green in the spring, summer and fall. It helps the trees sprout stunning floral blossoms in spring that line its famous avenues. It washes the sidewalks of all the dirt, dog excrement, chewing gum and spit that are deposited in bulk on our streets every day.
It brings a fresher yet different kind of smell to the city in contrast to the humid, and let's face it quite dreadful odor of the garbage that sometimes sits outside in the baking sun , rotting beneath the flimsy bags that hold it all in.

I bless the rain every time it falls. For me it represents life. It allows New York to continue to flourish and prosper. It is the earth's sustenance and we should react positively like the farmers do whenever they witness rain. New Yorkers hate the rain. They are afraid of the rain. They plan their days around not having to be outside when it falls. They huddle under awnings, waiting until it passes and they never leave home without an umbrella if there is more than a one in ten chance of precipitation.

This morning I didn't even check the weather forecast before I left my apartment. My doorman had posted a pretty picture of an umbrella inside the elevator implying that it was raining outside so that the petrified New Yorker, on seeing the sign, would head back to fetch an umbrella. I thought nothing of it. I arrived in the lobby and was handed my daily newspaper after an exchange of morning greetings. I wished the doorman a good day and tried to head outside. My path was blocked by the doorman, refusing to open the door. He told me it was raining. I acknowledged his climatic observation and again tried to pass him but with no avail. He asked me if I had an umbrella on me and I replied that I did not. He then suggested that it was raining quite heavily outside. I swayed a bit to the right and peered outwards and confirmed this with him. Eventually after this stand off had gone on for way too long I told him that I hardly ever carry an umbrella. I calmly explained to him that my coat, which was waterproof had a hood that protected me from the wetness and that I didn't mind the rain at all. He stood aside ,shaking his head, not fully comprehending how anyone could venture outside during what he determined to be a monsoon.

Once outside I felt the patter patter of the refreshing cold rain against my cheeks. It wasn't falling that heavily but it was definitely umbrella weather for those who fear water. I was smiling, reminiscing about my wonderful childhood days in London which I always associated with this kind of weather. I was standing next to Third Avenue, awaiting a light change to cross, when a truck came hurtling by at great speed trying to make the light. It rode over a crevice in the road sending a whole spray of water into the air , landing exactly on my pants where I had no protection. An umbrella wouldn't have saved me either. I was soaked through to the skin. I turned around and walked home. The doorman opened the door and said, "have you come back for an umbrella?" I looked at him and replied that I was fetching my wet suit. He looked confused. I went home and changed and left again via the underground garage

No comments:

Post a Comment