About Me

New York, New York, United States
Rob is the author of New York, New York: So Good They Named it Twice: An Irreverent Guide to Experiencing and LIving in the Greatest City in the World

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Homesick

Homesick

I spent this past weekend away from New York up in Canada. I was in their biggest city, Toronto. It is a really normal North American metropolis with tall buildings, highways, hotels, restaurants, petty crime and a somewhat scary avant guard youth. Toronto is Canada's answer to New York. Its the best that Canada can offer in a competition for which country has the best city. I may be super biased, but Toronto is best described as oomphless. It lacks a certain sophistication, a notable vibe and its pace of life is rather snail like in comparison to New York. I live in a vibrant city and most other comparable urban sprawls are village like.
Many other cities have nicer airports, cleaner streets and friendlier people. They also are less crowded, more affordable and have nicer schools, bigger supermarkets and are much more accessible. What they don't have is aggravation, attitude, arrogant residents and a rudeness that permeates most aspects of life in New York City.

Two days away from the chaos, irritation and annoyance of daily New York living is the maximum I can normally tolerate. I need to be immersed in it. I thrive off it. It's what makes me tick. I changed my flight and came back early as two days of normalcy drove me insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment