About Me

New York, New York, United States
Rob is the author of New York, New York: So Good They Named it Twice: An Irreverent Guide to Experiencing and LIving in the Greatest City in the World

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I MAY MOVE UNDERGROUND

I had some business to attend to in Midtown very close to the Rockefeller Center. The weather was deceptively cold. I looked out of my office window and saw clear, crisp blue skies with just a whisper of clouds that lingered, suggesting calmness and a lack of blustering winds. It was chilly. I was glad I had brought my coat with. I refuse to wear a hat and gloves in New York after February as I take a stand on saying a farewell to Winter and an almighty how are you doing to Spring.
My head and ears were frozen solid by the time I reached the underground office I needed just off 6th avenue and on 50th street. I was directed downstairs to a basement office and when I arrived at my destination I was flabbergasted to see a makeshift sign on the door that read " Closed. Be back in three days." Great, I had wandered across town and been victimized by the elements only to find that the lazy no gooders at my meeting place had buggered off without canceling my meeting and informing me of sudden office closures.
So there I was, stuck underground with little protection against the freezing conditions above, pondering my next move. My ears still had not thawed out and my hands were capable of making water freeze on contact with them. I then proceeded to do what comes natural to a person with no intention of popping upstairs for another round of shivering limbs and chattering teeth: I started walking. I was intrigued with the maze of underground corridors and passageways that lay ahead of me. I was in awe. There were restaurants, food stores, retailers, service stores and seating areas which could house hundreds of folk determined to be burrowed under New York's streets.
I had no idea this whole new world existed. It was a fabulous experience. I lunched a little, I browsed a bit more and perused even more . Before I knew it I had wasted a good ninety minutes aimlessly stalking below ground intrigued at the facilities offered to New Yorkers who knew about the plaza below sea level. Why had a not known about this place? How had such a great hang out find in the Winter passed me by? Until the weather crawled above 50 degrees for three consecutive days I was determined to visit this hidden wonderland again.
When I returned to my office I was quizzed about my meeting. I dared not lie and told my superiors that it had been canceled and the reason why I had been away for two hours was that I had become disorientated and very lost in an underground maze with a small chance of ever surfacing again. They didn't respond verbally. All I saw as I backed away was a couple of head scratches and some random shoulder shrugging.

No comments:

Post a Comment