About Me

New York, New York, United States
Rob is the author of New York, New York: So Good They Named it Twice: An Irreverent Guide to Experiencing and LIving in the Greatest City in the World

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Return of the Nodders

I found them. Well most of them. As if by magic we were all reunited at the express bus stop at 6.29am this morning. And yes, we nodded. They didn't seem to have missed me. I approached one of the women and asked her: "Where have you been?" I had a glint in my eye showing both relief and compassion. She quickly moved away from me and hid behind one of the larger gentlemen standing there.

So the nodders showed up on a day when there were no buses. We stood around for what seemed like an eternity with no sign of any public transportation. New York City slept and a large prehistoric being threw up slushy white stuff all over its streets and sidewalks. The city was paralyzed. I couldn't get to work via a vehicle faster than my own legs and all the nodders for whom I had toiled and fretted over ignored me as if I were a carrier of the bubonic plague. I protest. I will no longer nod back. I will never again initiate a nod. I am now an ex nodder.

And I walked to work disappearing on many occasions into two feet of snow that had formed at intersections. What a great start to the day. Destroyed illusions about nodders and sloshing shoes with wringing wet pant cuffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment