About Me

New York, New York, United States
Rob is the author of New York, New York: So Good They Named it Twice: An Irreverent Guide to Experiencing and LIving in the Greatest City in the World

Friday, May 6, 2011

POTTY TRAINING

We need to go back to basics in the bathroom. I work in an office of around 100 people on a trading floor. Seventy per cent are male. Half of those males go out binge drinking every Thursday night. We have one bathroom with two urinals and two stalls. On Friday mornings you can wait for hours to get into a stall and when you finally get in you wish you hadn’t tried.
I am determined to find out who the phantom non flusher is. Time after time I open the stall door to be met with an open toilet bowl full of very unpleasant surprises. When I find out who the culprits are I will confront them over whether they do the same thing to their wives/partners/kids in their own homes. I am convinced that those responsible are not from the younger generation. Generally speaking those born after 1980 are more health conscious and into proper hygiene. They all sit at their desks with their anti bacterial lotions and don’t even touch the bathroom door handle on exiting, choosing to grab a load of bathroom paper towels to turn the infected handle. So I am on the look out for an older gentleman who is unhygienic and walks towards the bathroom area on a Friday morning. I can’t just wait outside the stall nor peer in to see who it is in there because that invites a whole host of accusations flying my way. I will though, find the person and humiliate him to such an extent that he will never non flush or block the toilet again.

To avoid blockages at home we installed a policy of single sheet or very thin double sheet toilet paper and educated the kids how to thoroughly do whatever needs to be done post usage using the smallest amount of tissue. It has worked. The plunger basically sits upright on the floor and is used maybe once a year when my youngest son purposely blocks the toilet in order to use the plunger. He has been missing it terribly and asks about it constantly. In a corporate office there is no plunger available for immediate use so when the toilet gets blocked; the reason for the clogging sits there stewing for hours until maintenance comes to fix it. Apparently when I challenged a young crew member from the building he informed me that several plungers had been stolen on different floors. I still fail to see the demand for used plungers but I guess every house needs one and it’s not normally on a wedding list or a present you bring someone for a housewarming party.

I have taken measures into my own hands now. I no longer even attempt to use the bathroom on my office floor on a Friday. Instead I head over to the Waldorf Astoria hotel armed with a newspaper. I have my favorite stall and it is so clean you could almost eat off its floor, which of course I never would. It is so civilized there. After finishing my business an attendant runs the tap, squirts liquid soap in your hands and offers towels to dry all for a non requisite dollar bill. Until the phantom is caught in my office and brought to trial I am conducting my “business” elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment