About Me

New York, New York, United States
Rob is the author of New York, New York: So Good They Named it Twice: An Irreverent Guide to Experiencing and LIving in the Greatest City in the World

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I THINK I HAVE TO MOVE

I thought I wanted to spend the rest of my life in New York City. I love it here. I never get bored, I always have a few exciting plans and sleep, work and play here for the vast majority of days in each and every year. However something has changed inside of me. I just can't take the weather any more. It's driving me completely crazy.

By my calculations it has rained for 15 of the last 22 days. It's May. Showers are supposed to occur in April. May should be the one month when it's not too hot and the sun shines every day. I have almost forgotten what the sun looks like. Every morning I wake up hoping for blue skies but when I peer out of my apartment window it is misty, and gray with a hint of moisture and the complete opposite of bright. I used to never carry an umbrella in New York City but now it is permanently attached to some part of my body. My umbrella is now my American Express card- " I don't leave home without it."

The doorman in our building is kind and considerate enough to leave a note up informing the tenants that it is raining. Many proper soakings have managed to persuade me to overcome my fear of umbrellas and I am now of the persuasion that they are indeed quite useful accessories. The note has been up for a whole week. It just doesn't stop raining. Noah from the book of Genesis would feel at home here and ducks are starting to fly in from far away places after hearing that some of the Avenues of Manhattan are prime for swimming. When is it all going to stop? I turn on the Weather Channel and all I see are dark clouds and raindrops scattered over the display showing theremaining days of this week. Apparently we won't see the sun again until Sunday.

I grew up in a climate like this. London is notorious for grim weather and miserable people. New York City is now exactly the same. I thought I had escaped the long continuous stretches of rain that accompanied my childhood and youth. The expression that " you have brought the weather with you," takes on a whole new meaning. I really feel like EE-AW from Winnie The Pooh , walking around with a dark cloud hovering above me unloading large droplets on my face every time I look up.

I really can't take it any more. Winter was harsh this past year but it was nothing compared to the miserable Spring we are living through. Summer will naturally be a scorch fest with temperatures above 100 degrees every day for weeks at a time sapping any remaining energy I have left. If things don't start improving soon I will pack my bags and stand at my front door contemplating much friendlier climates until reality bites and I unpack realizing that I can never leave this city as I am too entrenched, in spite of its bad weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment